Bigas2 Hack announces winning apps
Video: Playlist of Bigas 2 Hack
Bigas2 Hack Photos
The Bigas2 Hack brings together developers from around the Philippines to inspire innovations that help improve the livelihoods of rice farmers. This hackathon is unique because it is driven by IRRI's mission to reduce poverty and hunger, improve the health of rice farmers and consumers, and ensure that rice production is environmentally sustainable. Developers will have the opportunity to learn new programming techniques, network with other developers and software representatives, win prizes and, most importantly, make a difference in the world!
- Saturday August 31, 2013 - Sunday September 1, 2013
- International Rice Research Institute (IRRI) headquarters Los Banos, Laguna, Philippines
- Hacker teams of 2 to 4 people (individuals may form teams at event)
- Register here for free: http://bigas2hack.eventbrite.com.
- You want to make a difference in the lives of Filipino rice farmers and you like prizes!
This year's hackathon will formally allow interested participants to incubate their ideas longer, and then take it even further by developing prototypes. There are two kinds of challenges to choose from:
- Short-term Challenges
- Developers can work on a project during the event time frame. Registration for this challenge opens on AUG 12.
- Long-term Challenges*
- Developers can choose one of the three specific challenges identified by IRRI and may begin working on the project immediately upon registration.
*Description and details of the three specific long-term challenges is available in pdf format. You can check the Long-term Challenges page, register online, and START WORKING on your selected
Up to 5 teams could be awarded with prizes based on the different categories. Prizes will include Lenovo smartphones, gift certificates and outsourcing membership subscription for the winning teams. All participants will have access to cloud-based operating systems to develop their apps and other awesome freebies.
- Short-term challenge: Best Farmer and/or Consumer App(for consumers or game apps), Best Innovation App (bring your own challenge)
- Long-term challenge: Best Research Optimization App (runner-up) and Best Research Optimization App (winner)